Sisters in Fiber Quilt Exhibit
Monday, February 04, 201310:15 AM
February 4 - March 5, 2013Worship and The Arts at Andover Newton is pleased to announce the Sisters in Fiber Quilt exhibit, featured in the Sarly Interfaith Gallery in Wilson Chapel from February 4 – March 5, 2013. There will be an opening reception in the Wilson Chapel lobby on Wednesday, February 6, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Sisters in Fiber is a small professional group of women of Color, from the Boston MA area, who share a passion for all things fiber. They share similar philosophies, but have very different quilting styles. They come together to support each other in their artwork and in furthering their artistic personal and professional goals.
All of the Sisters have spent part of their professional lives in the teaching field, and they approach fiber art with the same goals: to teach by sharing their thoughts, dreams and life experiences with the people who view their work.
The members of the group are:
- Valarie Poitier, BA Fine Arts. Originally from Philadelphia PA, she focuses on paints and dyes, and fiber arts.
- Michele David, MD. Originally from Haiti, she focuses on all types of art that are reminiscent of her homeland, Haiti.
- Celeste Janey, MS Ed. Originally from Boston MA, she focuses on fiber arts with a concentration on the written word.
- Brenda Jones, MS Ed. From Boston. She has many passions: water color, jewelry, home décor, and quilting, with a concentration on things that are organic.
- Renee Keels, MDiv, DMin. Originally from Columbus OH, her concentration has been on women in religion and spirituality. Renee is also an Andover Newton alumna.