2017-2018 Lectures, Fabric Dyeing or Quilting Workshops
Please I am now booked for that season, I might be available for last minute cancellations! Contact me...
Quilting & Fabric Dyeing Workshops - General Information
- Landscape Design & Raw Edge or Needle Turn
- Strip Piecing Choices a Scene, Landscape, a Room, an Animal, or A Quilt Top
- Learn to add Perspective, shadows, highlight central motif.
- Bring your notions and unused quilting tools, watercolor pencils, oil pastels, shiva oil sticks, plumbing poles and string, and other whatnots to a workshop and let's use them.
- Scraps, pieces of great fabric, how to make them work in a quilt of their own.
- Fabric Dyeing, One day or up to 5 day classes using low immersion method
- Surface Design, dyeing, stamping, silk screening, mark making.
- Good Solid Basic Sewing and Quilt Techniques.
Here's How I Work
- General sewing tools - thread, needles, adhesive either paper backed or not, scissors for fussy cutting, cutting board, ruler, pins and needles, machine optional for one and two day classes or a needle turn class can be taught as an add on day or separately.
- Camera or phone with camera
- Variety of small fabric Scraps, precut trips or fat quarters, even fat eights in sky colors, ground colors, greens for grasses and bushes, creamy beiges and yellows in various shads, greys, Browns, think earth tones.
- Inexpensive glue stick made for children's craft, and paper.
- Permanent pens already in your collection, "like" Sharpies, pentel, Farber Castelle.
- Watercolor paints, watercolor crayons or watercolor pencils
- Oil sticks, shiva or oil pastels.
- Drawing or note book.
Intro to fabric dyeing and surface design. Dye 1/2 yard of fabric. Learning everything from soup to nuts. After that session you will be able to dye your own fabric. Next we will Dye 3-4 yards of half or quarter yard pieces that you bring. After lunch we rinse morning dye batch. I will then give a few surface design techniques demos. You will be able to try those techniques while waiting for the second dyed fabric to finish batching. Or you can learn to make one of the fabric wrist cuffs.
Many of the materials are covered in the materials fee, others you need to bring from your stash. Plastic Gloves, blue painters tape, measuring spoons and cups, plastic bottles for mixed dye, quart and gallon jugs for the auxiliaries, apron, face mask, wear old clothing, black outfit or polyester or synthetic clothes as dye will stain. You will also need a large plastic bag to cover your work area, a couple 2.5 gallon zip lock bags to take wet dyed fabric home in, and a few gallon size bags for dyeing the fabric.
These are fun classes that goes very quickly and the results are amazing! Recommendations available!